Sunday, January 29, 2006

I never named my car.

And now it might be too late.
Today while looking for a parking spot outside 4th street cafe I accidentally drove my car into a passing Chevy Malibu. Nobody was hurt, but four cars were involved and my car got pretty fucked up and, sentimental person that I am, I'm a little choked up at the thought of never driving it again. After all, if this wasn't my first car, it was my first car that didn't suck, my first car that didn't leave me feeling ashamed and uncomfortable and wondering what the dirty stuff coming out of my AC vents was. It seems too important a thing to be referred to as "my black 2002 Saturn L-200."
But can you name a car posthumously? What would I call it? Does it have to be a funny name? What exactly is a funny name for a car?
If anyone has any suggestions, I think it might help me with my grieving process.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

How about "Crumpelstiltskin"?

Erica Leigh said...

oh, very sad. My first car was called "the vortex removal machine." It was totalled by an uninsured driver while parked. The day after I put $1200 dollars into its aging Horizon ass. My second car was actually my boyfriend's. His mom gave it to us out of pity. It was totalled while I was making a left on Sunset Blvd, on our first vacation by ourselves ever. After 10 years. By an unlicensed, uninsured driver driving in the parking lane.

Cars will break your heart, man. I feel your pain. I think that "Lucy" and "Petey", depending on the gender of said what-have-you, are good all purpose names.

Condolences.

Anonymous said...

Hmmm.... this is something I never thought about. I haven't named my car either and after our experience Sunday I definitely understand the feelings you are having. While I don't care right now if my car is named, there is a high likelihood that I would if it came to an unexpected end. So again sorry about your car, but now I cannot help due to my own car naming dilemma.....

Jennie C. said...

My first car, an '85 dodge aries, was named Ed. It suited it. It's harder to name new cars, as they don't have much personality. (Neither do new houses.) My oldest daughter named our station wagon Red, and cried when it broke down in the bank drive through. Our new-to-us van is now called Big Red.

Anonymous said...

My '92 SAAB 9000 was deemed totaled today. Last week I parked it at a local store and some guy in a Mercedes M-Class, he pushed it out into thr road, where it was promptly broadsided by a plow truck, the curse of Vermont Winters. I feel your pain man.