Tuesday, June 21, 2005

June is Gay and Lesbian Pride Month

I have a couple small things I want to throw out.

One is my frustration with Rick, the guy who does the staff recommendations at my store. He asked for Gay and Lesbian themed selections for June, but wouldn't let me recommend Angels in America as "The gayest movie ever." I have a friend (her name is Raven. Hi Raven, I'm giving you a shout out) who recommended the book G.R.I.T.S.: Girls raised in the South under the words "There's more than one way to eat grits." Apparently allusions to oral sex are fine, but my comparatively bland "the gayest movie ever," that's taking things too far.
Possibly Rick isn't so much bothered by the remark being inappropriate as he disagrees with my ranking. And if he was thinking that Personal Best is gayer than Angels in America, well there's an argument to be made for that.

Second, and unrelated to anything gay, I think Dairy Queen should rethink the name of its coffee flavored milkshake, the Moo-Latte. I understand what the marketing people were thinking-- "Moo like cow, that's funny. Latte like espresso and steamed milk-- a mixing of an elitist yuppie drink and a bit of agricultural onomatopoeia. Something for the red states and the blue, excellent."
But when I saw a commercial for it the other day, a commercial that shows the moo-latte being enjoyed by a young african-american couple, I couldn't get away from "moo-latte"'s resemblance to a certain racial epithet. That is to say, mulatto.
I am not the first person to have this idea, and below are several links to pages exploring the Moo-Latte in greater depth.

Moo-Latte related links

A very funny interview a Houston paper had with a Dairy Queen representative.

A markedly less funny blurb about a poorly named Swedish ice cream.

This is just some asshole ranting about his job and making mean jokes about fat people that came up when I googled "Moo-latte." It's kind of horrifying, but interesting too, in a sort of sick, "Wow, people are nuts" kind of way.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the shout out. Though you could have suggested "Vanilla Slim: The Rise and Fall of an Unlikely Pimp". There's nothing gay-er than hearing about how some white cracked out pimp tries to get a hard on for his street poon-tang,(and now I spoil the ending), but never quite achieves it. It might not be as offensive as my oral sex connotation to GRITS. Better luck next time.