Monday, November 08, 2004

Two Post-Election Resolutions

On election night I heard Carlos Watson say that watching the returns come in had been "every bit as exciting as we'd hoped." I heard other CNN anchors say similar things about the "excitement" of the election and of what the next four years hold in store. So I have decided to never watch CNN again. I will stick to NPR, C-SPAN, the Newshour with Jim Lehrer, and other forms of news that aren't watered-down trivial bullshit.

More importantly, the election has made me hate America. More specifically, the people who live here. This is not something that I take any pleasure in; I'd much rather go on thinking that America is primarily a force for good, or, barring that, go on thinking what I used to think:
"Man, it sure is a good thing the evangelical right-wing fruitcakes don't run things. What kind of crazy shit would they do? Yikes, good thing it will never happen."
CNN might call this a "November 1st Mentality."
The people I feel most isolated from are the Republicans I am friends with. There are a number of them, people who generally don't know much about politics, and just go along with what their parents think. In the past I have been able to look past our differences and have fun hanging out with them.
"Hey," I told myself, "It's too bad [insert name] has his head stuck so far up his ass, but he obviously doesn't feel THAT strongly about his beliefs. Maybe I can be friends with him, and we just won't bring it up. Or maybe I'll become more well-rounded and learn to understand a different point of view."
Again, "November 1st Mentality." Since the election, it has been extremely difficult for me to stop being angry at these people, and I have decided to take a break from them.
As of now, I am temporarily no longer friends with any Republicans. I will not take their phone calls (unless it's an emergency) and I will not hang out with them. This should last until the week of December 15th, when, in the spirit of the season, I will make a magnanimous offer of forgiveness and try to go back to how things were before.
But until December 15th let me say, Fuck you Republicans. Why don't you stop being so fucking dumb and self-centered and try to gain some kind of understanding of the world around you? Why don't you pray to whatever made-up, bullshit God your ignorant, backwards ass believes in that your stupidity hasn't doomed us all. I hope you get some really bad diarrhea.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I find it odd how despite my many years of political polarization that I personally take little offense to your wishing of us “Right-wing fruitcakes” really bad diarrhea. Honestly, let us look at the facts for a moment as to why liberal thought in America only has brief spikes. To start with, had you bothered to take notice of the fact that the Supreme Court is considered mildly conservative; as in more likely to pass a conservative ruling, you should take not of the fact that it is slowly beginning to strictly enforce the full separation of church and state within our governments means. Not only that, but when they remove symbols of Christianity, there is very little out-cry from our increasingly secular community. I myself, being Jewish, find it rather shocking that a nation of “evangelical right-wing fruitcakes” to be willing to remove any notion of the religious preference from the government that they run.

Secondly; you should take note of the fact that if our nation was a true democracy, that your liberal ideas such as a woman’s right to abortion and affirmative action would be crushed under complete majority rule. We are a representative republic for many reasons, if you really want to find out why, I suggest you read the writings of Herbert Titus, legal advisor of the Liberty Committee, a left-wing organization. If you have a problem with our move back towards isolationism and conservatism, you should take note of the fact that over 80% of our presidents have been from the Republican platform. The only time a democratic leader is elected is when our country is in need of social programs, or when everything is “honky-dory.” Don’t bother arguing with me until you look up the facts.

Third; just because you have an opinion, does not make it the smart opinion. I’m not attempting to say that you’re ideas are (though they may be) lacking intellectual thought, but they are more or less bound to the fact that you have an opinion. You see, your opinion therefore is pretty much useless because it is not backed up by facts. You simply shout “YOU’RE STUPID!” over and over again and expect it to make an impact; or at least, that’s what it seems.

Fourth; your “these people don’t generally know much about politics” is unfounded as research has shown that most people of higher education tend to be republicans, PhD’s being the only exceptions. Within that bracket of educational know-how, you’ll have a 51% to 49% difference.

Fifth; to bring an end to your personal relationships as a result of your political affiliation shows just how narrow minded liberal nut jobs can be at times. If you want to scare yourself to sleep at night, just think about this:

There are many more people who disagree with you than agree with you, and that was proven when John Kerry’s horrible election strategy and campaign was put to shame.

-JTR

Andrew said...

Who are you and what the hell are you talking about?
Listen, I wrote this to feel better, not to change anybody's mind or say anything substantive. You clearly don't know me at all if you are trying to engage me in some sort of serious discussion of issues on my blog. And if you were trying to engage in discussion you should have tried to say something that isn't so fucking obvious. OF COURSE I am just shouting "YOU'RE STUPID" over and over again. OF COURSE I know that more people disagree with me than agree with me, that's why I'm angry in the first place. OF COURSE America isn't a democracy, did I say that it was? Am I supposed to be all outraged by that? The writings of Herbert Titus? Who are you trying to impress?
Don't bother arguing until I check the facts? Fuck you, I have no intention of arguing. I'm too busy checking into the cost of a move to Canada.