Thursday, July 01, 2004

Stacy, the Community Relations Manager

Most Barnes and Noble Bookstore's have a Community Relations Manager; at my store her name is Stacy. When authors come to our store for signings, she organizes the event, publicizes the event, and gives the author an introduction:
"Hello everyone! Today we are happy to welcome the author of 'Loose Your Booty,' let's hear it for Dr. Ro!"
Every week she hosts story time, and spends an hour reading books to little children, always in an impossibly loud and condescending manner:
"HELLO BOYS AND GIRLS! HOW ARE YOU? I DON'T HEAR YOU!!!!! OKAY! TODAY WE"RE GOING TO READ SPOT GOES TO THE ZOO!!! HOORAY!"
I don't know Stacy very well, but she seems like a nice person; smiles a lot, always acts like she's in a good mood. She is polite, and listens to Josh Groban, and dyes her hair blonde. Many people describe her as being attractive, and while I personally don't think so, I can understand where they are coming from.

(One time I was at Ukrop's, and I ran into a clerk there named Thom. Thom is a really nice guy, a little slow, but a good person, always genuinely interested in what I am doing with myself.
"So what are you up to these days, Andrew?" asked Thom in his deep bass voice.
"Oh nothing much, I just transferred to a new store, the one on Broad Street."
"That's good, that's good. Say, do you know a woman there named Stacy?"
"Uh, yeah, she's the Community Relations Manager."
"Yeah. One time I was at that store with my nephew for story time. She's a really cool girl."
"Yeah, she seems nice."
"Easy on the eyes too, haha.")

So that's Stacy, bland but nice.
Today, I passed Stacy on my way into work and asked how she was.
"Hey Stacy, how's it going?"
"Oh, hey Bubba," she said.
And I punched her in the throat.

1 comment:

Miss Scarlet said...

I miss Stacey. She understands my JCrew obsession. She also gave me magnetic poetry once.