Wednesday, June 23, 2004

Coldstone Creamery

The other day I called my friend Jocelyn up to invite her to get some ice cream.
"Okay, but we're not going to Coldstone (a new ice cream place that opened near my house)."
"Oh. But I kinda wanted to go there."
"You want to get Germanchocklatecake again, don't you?"
(On the Coldstone menu Germanchocklatecake has an oomlout over the O, but I don't know how to put one in on blogger, or even how to spell oomlout for that matter. I have always liked German Chocolate cake, and at Coldstone Creamery they mix brownie bits, pecans, coconut and caramel sauce into chocolate ice cream and serve it under the name Germanchocklatecake. It's very good, and Jocelyn knew that it was the reason I wanted to go back.)
"Alright, we can go there. But you have to say 'Like it.'"
(At Coldstone Creamery they don't have small, medium and large. They have "Like it!, "Love it!" and "Gotta have it!" On our first trip I had refused to ask for a "Like It" size. "What was that?" asked the girl behind the counter with a grin. Uncharmed, I answered, "I said I wanted a SMALL. You know, the little one.")

At Coldstone Creamery the staff greets you as soon as you walk in the door. On this occaison there were between 6 and 8 high school students behind the counter, and when we opend the door we were given a chorus, not quite in unison, of "Hello, welcome to Coldstone!"
As we waited in line, we listened to the staff sing. At Coldstone Creamery whenever someone puts money in the tip jar everyone behind the counter is expected to sing their gratitude:
"IF YOU LIKE TO GO TO COLDSTONE CLAP YOUR HANDS! [clap clap]
IF YOU LIKE TO GO TO COLDSTONE CLAP YOUR HANDS! [clap clap]
OUR ICE CREAM IS THE BEST, IT IS BETTER THAN THE REST
IF YOU LIKE TO GO TO COLDSTONE CLAP YOUR HANDS! [clap clap, and one "toot toot!" from an excited and freckled young lady behind the register]"
While Jocelyn and I waited this happened repeatedly, and everytime it was a different song:
"TAKE ME OUT TO COLDSTONE, BUY ME LOTS OF ICE CREAM!"
"YUMMY YUMMY YUMMY I'VE GOT ICE CREAM IN MY TUMMY!"

When I got to the counter I asked for a small.
"What was that?" grinned the girl behind the counter.
"He wants a Like it! size." said Jocelyn.
"Haha! I thought maybe you hadn't been here before!" said the girl.
"Oh no, I've been before."
"Have you had our Strawberry Blonde?!" she asked. "it's my favorite! There's strawberry ice cream, mixed with caramel sauce and... GRAHAM CRACKER PIE CRUST! It's soo awesome!"
"Yeah, that sounds pretty good. Maybe I'll get that next time."
At the register I presented my credit card, unsigned.
"Excuse me sir, but I think you probably wanna sign this!"
"No, I didn't sign it on purpose. Here's my ID."
"Sir, please sign it, it's for your own protection!"
"No thanks, I would prefer to just show you my ID."
"Well thats highly unusual, but okay! Have a great day!"
"Thanks, you too!"
In all the excitement she had failed to notice that I added a two dollar tip to my card. Victorious, Jocelyn and I ran outside to eat our ice cream in peace and quiet.



4 comments:

Miss Scarlet said...

I hate how they sing. It's annoying for people to like their job enough to sing ridiculous songs.

Anna said...

Not ten minutes ago I went to the Coldstone Creamery for the first time. Then I happened to be online and I looked at your journal and lo and behold, you are talking about the very ice cream I am eating.
I hate their songs and their cheeriness, they should all be killed. And I wouldn't go there at all except that I wanted to try the ice cream. And I absolutely REFUSE to order the "Like It", "Love It", or "Gotta Have It". Whoever thought that up should perish in the firestorm.

Andrew said...

The other day I wanted ice cream and I went to maggie moo's. The people there were really quiet and unfriendly. It was awesome.

Anonymous said...

P:s. from candice klos , coldstone caliofrnia rancho santa margarita Bizzzzzzzzzznatch