Tuesday, June 20, 2006

I'm only sort of kidding.

Recently my job satisfies me less. Children are harder to manage right before summer vacation, and some who take medication stop taking it, and my patience, always thin, has grown thinner. Money problems that I have until now rationalized as “the trade-off for doing something I enjoy” are becoming harder to manage, just as the enjoyment dwindles.

Last week I renewed my cell phone plan, and as a reward for being a loyal Sprint customer received a $150 credit towards the purchase of a new phone. After a few calls and an hour and a half standing in line at my local Sprint store, I received a brand new phone at no cost.
As I punched my phone numbers into my digital phone book, I found myself feeling content for the first time in what felt like, but probably wasn’t really, months. Finally re-connected with the joy of owning something new and expensive, I realized how much I had missed it. I began to think that the key to happiness is not the love of small children, but consumption: of electronics, of compact discs, DVDs, furniture, expensive food, etc. Money, it turns out, is more important than people. I guess I already knew that, but sometimes it takes life experience for a concept to really register. This one finally has.
So my next job, and I’m looking for one, is going to reflect this new set of priorities. If nobody will give me a job that fulfills me, I might as well get paid well and fulfill myself by buying a lot of shit. Is that soulless and evil? Maybe. Will I be happier? No doubt about it. So will GMAC and Sallie Mae.
Peace out children. Talk to me when you can afford it.

1 comment:

Andrew said...

I want to clarify that I don't really believe what I wrote here. I was blowing off steam. Soon after I wrote this a little girl told me she loved me and I was her favorite teacher and it was way better than a phone. But I still hate being poor.