Monday, December 13, 2004

Sandwiches as a Means of Personal Expression

Yesterday while I was putting off working on my graduate school applications I watched the two hour extravaganza of baseless prediction and mindless enthusiasm that is ESPN's Sunday NFL Countdown. One featured story this Sunday was Chris Berman's trip to Pittsburgh, where he visited a restaurant named Peppi's. Peppi's serves a sandwich named for Pittsburgh's breakout rookie quarterback Ben Roethlisberger, a sandwich designed specifically to embody the qualities of the athlete for which it was named.
A cook at Peppi's explained the "Roethlisberger" in detail--
"Basically we wanted something big and beefy. So we've got your steak. And then we added scrambled eggs, because Roethlisberger is a good scrambler. And then we top it off with American cheese, because he's an All-American."

This reminded me of my friend Brendan, who used to make sandwiches for a restaurant called Belle Kuisine. One day when the management was otherwise occupied they asked Brendan to come up with a "sandwich of the day." Brendan, not wanting to worry about making a new sandwich, invented the "Brendan."
To make a "Brendan," first toast a croissant. Then spread crunchy peanut butter on each half. Then spread honey on one side and mustard on the other. Finally, put exactly 5 pepperoncinis on the bottom half, put the two halves together and serve.
Two people ordered this, and Brendan made it for them. There were no complaints.
I like to imagine Brendan preparing his sandwich and explaining to Chris Berman why each ingredient is added.
"Then we toast the croissant, cause you know, I'm sophisticated, and also sort of crusty and hard to get to know. Then we put on the peanut butter, cause its so simple and hearty, the way I am. The honey's too obvious to comment on. The mustard and the pepperoncinis are the important part, they're what make it a Brendan. They give it my characteristic 'bite.' When you sink your teeth into my sandwich and make this face like, 'Ew damn, what the hell is that?!', that's when you know you've got a 'Brendan!'"

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Andrew, you're a good writer.

Anonymous said...

That was me who said you're a good writer.

clay

Anna said...

I want to know what would be on a sandwich capturing the qualities of Andrew Everton.

Andrew said...

I have no idea what the "Andrew Everton" would have on it, but I want it to involve grilled chicken. I can't think of a funny reason why grilled chicken would be involved, but I like it.
Also, I don't want anyone to think that I am making fun of Brendan. For the record, Brendan is awesome.

Andrew said...

more about the sandwhich-- http://www.sportznewz.com/story/7876.html