Tuesday, August 12, 2008

Sleepover Diary—Wrap-Up

I fell asleep around 5 am. I was back up at 6, before all my lame-ass co-workers who went to bed at 12. Parents started picking kids up shortly thereafter, and I helped them find their kids, their kids’ shoes, their kids’ sleeping bag covers, whatever needed finding. An older girl who had gone to bed with her hair curled like she was headed to some sort of elementary school prom stumbled out to meet her mom bleary-eyed, half awake, her hair now poofed out in a great frizzy white-girl afro. A little boy limped up to his mom on one flip-flop, blue goo stuck in his hair, and wrapped his arms around her waist. Parents walked up to shake my hand, asking,
“Awake yet?”
“Have fun?”
“When’d they finally turn in?”
“Late night?”
Many of them actually said thank you, which was unexpected, but gratifying.
After they left my co-workers and I spent half an hour putting the building back together, and then went to Cracker Barrel for breakfast. Then I went home and slept for six hours, waking up at four and feeling like a vampire.

No comments: