Saturday, August 02, 2008

Sleepover Diary 3

3:30 am
The green on light of the coffee pot is staring at me, daring me to have another cup. I'm debating it, unsure if I'll want to give in and sleep later. It reminds me of the first time I tried to pull an all-nighter, in college.

I put off a paper until the last minute, and found myself calling the professor to ask for an extension. I planned to use my grandfather's recent death as an excuse- callous maybe, but I told myself grandpa wouldn't mind and I was probably right. But the professor didn't care. "You weren't in class for the discussion on Monday, " he says, "no extension."
So I resolved to stay up all night and finish it. I locked myself into the music lab where I wrote all my papers, and sat down with a 24 ounce coffee from 7 eleven. I never drank coffee, and I poured in lots of Irish Cream sweetener to make it palatable.
After fifteen minutes or so the coffee was gone, and half an hour after that I was yawning. And hell, I felt like a break anyway, so I walked back to 7 eleven for another 24 ounce coffee.
And an hour later another. 72 ounces of coffee now in me, I sat down to work in earnest, only to find that I couldn't keep a single thought in my head, they seemed to be coming in packs of five. At one point I re-read what I had typed and found a sentence with no articles that seemed vaguely to be about tuna salad. So I gave up, and decided to sleep. Ah, but 72 ounces coffee will brook no sleep, and I lay in bed sweating, listening to my heart race until about 5:30, when I fell asleep. I woke four hours later, and when I urinated it smelled like Irish cream.

In spite of all of that, I am going to have another cup.

No comments: