Saturday, January 27, 2007

You don't even have to cook it!

Since June I've been stealing my wireless internet from the girl down the hall. Recently she changed up and protected her wireless internet with a password, leaving me feeling cut off from the world.
Today I write from my father's dining room. Earlier I made a steak sandwich and watched Giada de Laurentis on Food Network, a woman who describes nearly everything she cooks as tender and grins at her cutting board like a jack-o-lantern while she works. Today she took five minutes of her show to show us a vibrant appetizer of beautiful sun-dried tomatos (she likes sun-dried tomatos because of their beautiful color, because they're tender, and because they burst with a vibrant sort of flavor) tender fresh basil leaves and some beautifully white and sweaty fresh mozzerella (pronounced MUTT-zer-EL-la), all of it put on skewers. "You don't even have to cook it!" she cried.
Giada made these tender and vibrant kabobs for a small gathering she was hosting. Some "friends" were coming over to watch "the big game." At the end of the show her friends came into the kitchen, laughing and slapping each other on the back.
"Okay everybody," cried Giada, "Take two kabobs!"
And her friends took two kabobs.
"Now take a sandwich! Everybody take a sandwich!"
And they took sandwichs. Carl took two, that scamp.
"Now go to the living room! Everybody, living room! Go! Now!"
And they did. It was surreal watching a person act this way on camera with no apparent shame. One can only assume that she saw nothing wrong with ordering her friends around the kitchen, barking to them what they are allowed to eat. It was bizarre, but refreshingly sincere. I felt I had caught glimpse of Ms. de Laurentis's everyday life.
"Maybe after the big game I'll have some help cleaning up!" she winked to the camera. I have a feeling Carl paid through the nose for his extra sandwich.

No comments: