Thursday, May 11, 2006

Childhood can be Pleasantly Eccentric

There's a boy at work who wants to play foosball every morning. And so I play foosball with him every morning, and every morning I win, and after each point I score he throws his hands up and yells "NOOOOOOOOO!!!" like Elijah Wood in Fellowship of the Ring when Ian McKellan fights the huge troll-thing and ends up falling into the bottomless pit.
Sometimes when I beat him he tells me that I am evil, a word he also uses for an older girl he has a crush on. At different times he has told me that I am "an evil sack of potato-beans," that Waldo (of the Where's Waldo? books) is "his darkest enemy," and that "the sausages of breakfast are delicious." His words exactly.

Sometimes while he is walking he will bob up and down, one hand in the air as though he were pantomiming carrying a tray of food, his back slightly hunched so that his butt sticks out, and singing a nonsense song with lyrics pretty much consisting of "Doot-dit doot-dit, doot-dee-doo-dit."

At first this boy put me off-- mostly because he would do things like put his hands in my hair and coo "fuzzy!"-- but this morning, as I pushed him away and explained for the dozenth time the concept of personal space, it occurred to me that I won't see him over the summer, and that this made me sad.

It's funny how they grow on you.

3 comments:

Mica said...

The "sausages of breakfast" part made me laugh out loud...for a very long time.

Andrew, I am back in Richmond-town for the summer.

Let's hang the hell out because you are hilarious, and I miss you!

Anonymous said...

Nice character sketch, Everton.

Does this mean you don't like it when I ruffle your hair? How am I supposed to wipe my hands after we go to Bernie's?

Anonymous said...

i DO need to work at the station, this kid sounds awesome. he and i will conspire on how to take down Waldo. i was sold at his personal theme song though.