Monday, August 29, 2005

Another Cheap Shot at God

This afternoon on ESPN I watched a loud and arrogant talk show host interview Falcons running back Warrick Dunn. It was a lousy interview-- all of the questions were snivelling ass-kissy ones like, "Warrick, you're one of the really good guys in the NFL, can you tell me why your charity work with single mothers is so important to you?" To which Warrick, who seemed bland and camera shy, came out with something very rehearsed, like, "Well it was a dream of my mom's and I love to see other women realizing my mom's dreams, and I just give thanks to God because none of this would be possible if he hadn't blessed me and made me talented at football. In his divine mercy. Praise him."
You hear a lot of that sort of ignorant bullshit coming out of the mouths of famous people, particularly famous athletes and famous recording artists, pointing to the ceiling of the Kingdome or whatever auditorium the MTV Music Video awards are being held in and saying "All the glory goes to God!" because without God they never could have broken that quarterback's arm or recorded the Thong Song.
Later this afternoon, still on ESPN, I heard some commentators taking cruel jabs at recently benched Chicago Bears Quarterback Chad Hutchinson while they showed some clips of Chad getting sacked by different people. And I imagined what I would say t o the press if I were Chad.
"I just want to say that all the shame goes to God. He neglected to bless me with enough talent to make it in the NFL, and I really blame him for that. I feel that He not only let me down, but also people all over our nation born with spina biffiida, who I was hoping to help with money I earned playing football. It wasn't enough that He cursed these people with a crippling physical condition, no, He has to go and refuse to bless me, thereby denying me a lucrative contract and the means to make charitable donations to these poor people who he cursed in the first place. What an asshole."

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

awesome...one of my favorites...though i do take some umbrage at your describing warrick dunn as "bland"...i mean, that was just uncalled for...