Tuesday, September 06, 2005

Chief Justice Rehnquist Assassinated by Karl Rove?

One of the things that makes having a blog fun is tracking how many people read my posts. If you scroll down to the bottom of the page you'll see a little icon that says "Site Meter." Clicking on it will take you to the website that tracks my internet traffic for free. Using this site I am able to see how many people read my blog every day, how long it takes them, and what link brought them here. Furthermore, if they happened to come here via a search with Google or some other web browser, Site Meter lets me see what search they performed. Over the last few months I have compiled a list of some of the web browser searches that have led strangers to my blog.

- "I work at Barnes and Noble"
- Weinmareiner (they meant weimaraner)
- Terry Bradshaw
- Wacky Wicca
- Rage Kindelsperger (the head of bargain books at Barnes and Noble's corporate headquarters)
- lesbian licking
- Philadelphia Eagles quilt
- Roger Ebert interracial wife
- Dawson’s Quilt
- Dawson's Creek Quilt
- Cold Stone Creamery
- "Shave beard off"
- Cocksucker
- Roger Ebert’s Wife
- Macho Man McSweeney’s
- "Roger Ebert’s" "wife is black"
- "Language on Deadwood"
- Roger Ebert’s wife
- The top ten reasons to be Catholic
- “University of Mary Washington deck chairs”
- "I go to the YMCA"
- angry sealions
- Karrine Steffans

Perhaps you noticed how frequently Roger Ebert's wife was mentioned. Even more popular recently has been Karrine Steffans, who I listed here only once but has led roughly a dozen people to my site since I mentioned her name two weeks ago.
This Mrs. Ebert/Karrine Steffans phenomenon finally awakened me to the way the internet really works: when you talk about something a lot of people are interested in it results in higher web traffic. People don't want to hear about what some crazy person at Barnes and Noble did or what I think of Werner Herzog. They want to find out that the Video Vixen is currently dating Bill Maher, and that Roger Ebert has a raging case of jungle fever.
Hence the title for this post.
Is it possible that Karl Rove had Chief Justice William Rehnquist murdered to distract from the catastrophe on the Gulf Coast and so that the President could further reshape the Supreme Court? Perhaps. Do I believe that? Of course not, but I do think that posting wild conspiracy theories about popular national media topics will result in higher traffic for my site, which I don't mind telling you has been lagging. Here now a list of other things designed to boost my prominence in the blogosphere:

- The Rock: Gay and secretly dating Queer Eye for the Straight Guy's Kyan Douglas?
- Kanye West: Bid for the White House in 2008?
- Hermione Granger: Pregnant with Ron's baby in book seven?
- Wolf Blitzer: "These people are very poor, and very black."

4 comments:

Miss Scarlet said...

knocked up Hermione would be awesome!

Anonymous said...

Hahaha I like this post, Andrew.

Blogadier General said...

George Bush doesn't care about black people.

Anonymous said...

Weimaraner? Did I miss something?