Tuesday, October 14, 2008

"White People Are Nuts"

Saturday my friend Kelsey and I found a woman’s purse in the parking lot at Kroger. Being decent people, we decided to try to get it back to its owner. I opened the wallet to find the owner’s name and address, while Kelsey got the cell phone out and started trying to find a good number to call.
As we did this, a middle-aged black woman pulled her car up next to us.
“What are you doing with a woman’s purse?” she said, angrily.
“It was abandoned in this shopping cart,” I said.
“We’re trying to find information so we can get it back to the owner,” said Kelsey.
The woman eyed us suspiciously.
“Just going through a woman’s wallet, mm mm mm,” she said, shaking her head.
“I would want someone to go through my wallet,” I said, “if it meant I got my wallet back.” I was mad. I felt that I was doing a nice thing, and that this lady who suspected me of being a thief was a stupid bitch. Kelsey dealt with the situation much better:
“Maybe we should just take this into the service desk,” he said.
“You better do that,” said the woman, as though she would call the police if we didn’t.
Kelsey took the purse inside, and I stayed outside with the groceries, while the rude woman drove away.

I thought about how suspicious she had been. I remembered a co-worker, Genesa, and a conversation in which she told me she was afraid of white men.
“Black people are more likely to rob you, sure,” she said, “but that’s all they do. You get your shit took. Big deal. Now a white man, if he pulls a gun on you, you don’t know what kinda weird shit he’s going to do to you. You might end up with your teeth in a maracca and your balls stapled to a tree—it could be anything. White people are nuts.”
I also seem to remember that conversation started with her saying I reminded her of Jack Nicholson in The Shining. Someday I hope I can be judged by the content of my character, and not by my the color of my skin/scraggliness of my beard.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Andrew, don't second guess yourself for doing the right thing. One has no control over the misconceptions of others. On the other hand, e.g. the girl who is scared of white men, she's letting her misconceptions control her. One must maintain his/her control or fear will make life hell. I'm sure that the lady who asked about the purse would have asked that no matter her skin color, sadly the vices are evenly distributed across the human race, but more importantly so are the virtues.

Andrew said...

Oh there was no second guessing, I did what I was supposed to. That lady just sucked. And you're right, she'd have done that regardless of skin color. Mainly, the idea of a white man complaining about stereotyping struck me funny

Anonymous said...

that's fantastic...

Anonymous said...

Andrew,

Your inability to take responsibility for anything continues to amaze me. I mean, if you found a purse and you wanted to split the contents with your friend, just say so. Your blog needs to be a safe place for you to tell the truth, not some digital refrigerator when you can pin up your fantasy crayon drawings with little shame magnets for all the world to see.

Nick

PS- Next time, take the purse into your car before divvying up the loot.