Sunday, October 19, 2008

Mugging Part 2

"What did he look like?" asked the police officer. He was anxious to start chasing after the guy who had robbed me, and I could hear his dogs barking in the back of his police SUV.
"Well, he was black," I felt uncomfortable saying that, ""and he had dreads. I mean braids."
"Was his skin dark?"
"No, but not light either. Kinda in between."
"What was he wearing?"
"I don't know, a baggy coat?"
"What did the gun look like?"
"It wasn't a revolver. And it was shiny."
"How long ago was this??"
I looked at my phone.
"Fifteen minutes at this point."
"Fifteen?!" he exclaimed, and stormed off in the direction the mugger had run.
I called the bank before I called the police. I assumed my wallet was gone, that the most important thing was to keep him from getting at the money in my bank account. So I called Wachovia, and then the cops, who sent 7 cars in less than a minute and brought those angry dogs in the SUV. Now they were annoyed with me for being a stupid civilian and waiting to call them.
"Always call the cops first," said another, nicer cop who was taking my statement.
"Getting here quickly is our best chance of catching these idiots," said another.
"Yeah, sorry about that. I guess I fucked up."
"Yeah. Well, I mean, I'm a cop," he said. "I would know what to do. But if I wasn't a cop, if I was just an normal person like you, I'd probably have done the same thing. Don't feel bad."
I finished filling out my statement and headed back to the strangers' porch where I had stopped to use the phone. They had hidden their beer because they were underaged. They offered me a ride home, but I told them I wanted to walk the rest of the way. "It's not like I have anything left to steal," I told them.
I like walking in the Fan, and I don't think I'm going to stop. I'll just be more nervous while I do it.

No comments: