Wednesday, November 15, 2006

I SWEAR IT'S NOT REALLY FOOTBALL DON'T SKIP IT

Feedback from one would-be reader in Durham, North Carolina:
"I took a look at it, cause Jocelyn said it was funny. But then all it was a bunch of football stuff, so I didn't read much of it."

I think a lot of people do this with my blog, and it frustrates me. If these people didn't automatically shut off at the sight of the word "football," they would soon see that I don't actually write about football at all. Sure, I use some player names, I make reference to events from the world of sports, but I don't spend time talking about football games. Have I ever written a word about who I think will win the Super Bowl this year, or what I think of the Colts' run defense, or whether I like Larry Johnson more than LaDanian Tomlinson? No, never. Of course, most of you didn't get to read the words "No, never," because when you read the words "Colts' run defense" you closed your browser window. And I think you suck.

What sparks this tantrum? Well, today I read this on ESPN.com:
"Randy Moss blamed his penchant for dropped passes on the fact that he is unhappy and his focus level tends to go down when he is in a bad mood, the Oakland Tribune reports."
and I thought, "That's just like me! When I am unhappy my focus level goes down, and I lose my patience more quickly and yell at kids when I shouldn't! Randy Moss and I have something in common!"
I think that's really interesting, when I discover common ground with millionaire athletes with pronounced character flaws. Finding a little bit of yourself in another person, particularly someone vilified in the media, gives you insight into yourself as well as into that other person. I find myself saying, "Gee, no matter what our station in life we all have similar problems. Everyone has a rough time at work now and then," and "Oh Jesus, when I am being sullen at work do I come off like Randy Moss? Holy shit I need to watch that."
Maybe I could have posted that in a way that was a little subtler, a little wittier, but I didn't really think it would be worth the effort since most of you would never read the fucking thing since it is, in part, about a football player. What a bunch of closed-minded douchebags you are.

7 comments:

Miss Scarlet said...

I wonder if you'll approve my comment.

Anonymous said...

Dude, I'm totally cool with it being about football.

Go Redskins.

Andrew said...

Thanks Jamie!
Go Chad Johnson. Go Mike Carey. Go Sage Rosenfels.

Andrew said...

Scarlet- the only reason I wouldn't post your comment would be that it doesn't actually say anything. BUt for you, I publish it anyway.

Anonymous said...

Sage Rosenfels??!!??!!

Dude, that's RANDOM.

Anonymous said...

yeah, i'd have to say that football perhaps constitutes oh, about 15% of what you write about, and even then rarely as more than a device to illustrate some other point...so, while i am an avowed fan of your blog, and my opinion probably a bit clouded by bias, i think you're right...fuck those people...

Anonymous said...

Jocelyn said my comment was in your blog, and guess what...I read it-even though it was about football!
I am a close-minded douchebag, but I still approve of your witty ramblings (even the sports ones!).