Friday, July 01, 2005

News from Knoxville

My friend Glade is moving to Texas and, because she needed help, I have gone along for the ride. We left Richmond yesterday morning, elevenish, and made it to Knoxville, Tennessee around eight last night. Here are some of the highlights of our trip thus far:

-We have listened to CDs of This American Life in the car, which my friend Jocelyn gave me. I've heard them all at this point, but Glade hasn't, and I never mind listening to something I like twice.

-We stopped at a restaurant called "The Whistle Stop Cafe" just outside Lexington that served fried green tomatoes just like in the book. I had a burger instead.

-We briefly looked at some fireworks that were for sale, but Glade decided we should wait until we were in a state that sold "the really bitchin' ones."

-I took a lot of bad pictures of traffic in the car-- several of Glade, several of passing trucks, several of the numerous trees we passed on the highway.

-We ate dinner at Ruby Tuesday, mainly because it was late and we couldn't find somewhere better. It reminded me of the time I went to New York City for a day and ended up eating lunch at the Hardrock Cafe, something I went along with because my friends were doing it and I didn't want to eat alone. At Ruby Tuesday I learned the valuable lesson that mixing margueritas with a lot of cheese makes you feel sick.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I remember going to the Hard Rock Cafe with you. Lame, indeed.

Miss Scarlet said...

However, the Hard Rock Cafe is very nice when starving and coming from Central Park to Carnegie Hall and you don't want to search for a non sketchy place to eat:)


Jealous of your road trip!