Sunday, February 01, 2004

Iron Skillets

Last year I had a temp job in the waiting room of a local clinic called Virginia Adult and Pediatric Allergy and Asthma. At the time I told most people I knew about it at length so I will describe it here only briefly.
My job was to sit in the waiting room and hand out cards to the patients as they came in. This did not take long to do, and I spent most of my time there reading books and writing things in a notebook.
I looked through that notebook yesterday and was struck by something that a patient said to me.
An older man said to me, and this is an exact quote:"I collect iron skillets myself. I got over a hundred of them hanging in my garage. Of course they're not all skillets mind you, but most. I'd say ninety percent."
To be fair, let me place his remark in context, so it doesn't seem totally insane. Unfortunately I don't have the rest of the conversation recorded, but I am fairly certain that it went something like this:
Me- "Hi, there's a new sign-in procedure. If you'll let me see your form there I'll give you your new sign in card."
Old man- ""I collect iron skillets myself. I got over a hundred of them hanging in my garage. Of course they're not all skillets mind you, but most. I'd say ninety percent."
Me- "I see. Well here's your card. Good luck with the flu shot."