Saturday, March 06, 2010

With an S

"Please fold your index card in half, and then write your name on both sides, like this," says the professor.
We follow his directions, as he goes on, "In a class like this it's very important to know everyone's name. So, the name cards will help with that, but let's go around the room and just quickly introduce ourselves."
"My name is Michael, and I work with special needs children."
"My name is Rachel and I want to teach high school math."
"My name is Megs and I am elementary ed."
"Thank you, Meg" says the professor.
Her hand goes up.
"Oh, yes, I'm sorry, did I say it wrong?"
"Yeah, I go by 'Megs."
"Meg?"
"Megs. With an S. That's what all my friends call me, and I just prefer it."
I can't tell if the professor is confused or irritated.
"Okay, thank you Meg, let's hear from Jonathon!"

No comments: