Tuesday, February 03, 2009

Learning and Growing Together in the Trust Circle

I'm in school so that I can become a teacher, and so, as one might expect, I am taking education classes. So far I don't like education classes, possibly because over the years I have become accustomed to learning things from the classes that I take. Education classes, ironically enough, don't involve much learning. What they do involve is a lot of jargon dressing up common sense to make it look less familiar, ten question surveys about your individual "learning style" (I'm aural/reading and writing!), in-depth class discussion about alcohol killing brain cells, earnest requests for feedback on assignments which nobody seems to care if you turn in, sweet but frustratingly vague and disorganized professors who refuse to give guidelines on length for papers, completely open-ended paper topics apparently designed to prevent anyone from scoring less than a ninety, and classrooms full of slow-witted girls in their early twenties who nevertheless manage to scores seventies on these papers.
Today in class we reviewed for a test that is coming up in a couple of days. The instructor tells us to always call them "tests" and not "exams." Apparently the word "exam" stresses people out.
One of my learning-buddies ("classmates" seems too austere for an education class, too close to the world of "exams") raised her hand to ask the question,
"What about that movie about the girl, is that gonna be on the test?"
"No," said my knowledge-sherpa, "you don't need to worry about the film. I would never put a film we watched in class on a test. I wouldn't want to penalize anyone who didn't come to class the day I showed it."
I stared in disbelief. I think two guys in the back of the room high-fived.

5 comments:

Miss Scarlet said...

Where are you taking classes?!

Anonymous said...

nice use of sherpa. also, that's ridiculous

Anonymous said...

andrew, i love you...

saraheverton said...

you just described art school!

Caitlin Phillips said...

i'm sorry about your learning buddies, but that was a clever use of 'sherpa'