Monday, November 17, 2008

A Revolutionary New Strategy For Winning 'The Culture War'

Driving with my friend Lynsey this evening, politics came up. It does sometimes.
Lynsey said: "I hate when people say they want the government not to interfere with their lives economically, and then ask for it to regulate everyone's beliefs. That makes my head explode."
I thought about this, and had what I think is a extraordinary idea.
"That's because they want the government to force everyone to believe what they believe, so government interventon becomes okay to them. And we (liberals, moderates, people with compassion, people who think) have been fighting back the wrong way. We've been saying 'Keep the government out of our personal lives,' and it hasn't worked. We need to go further, Lynsey."
"Surely, you don't mean!"
"Yes! We need the government to force fundamentalist Christians to become gay!"
I really think this could work- the Christian Right would immediately start railing against government social intervention, and then the left would stand back and say, "Alright by us." Government would be out of people's personal lives, and we, the righteous and the sane, would win.
I'm writing my Congressman tomorrow, and I hope you do likewise.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

i just want everyone to know that i don't condone this method and think that it is a little extreme.

Bookstore Piet said...

Great idea but doomed to fail. The subtlety would be lost upon them.