Tuesday, October 16, 2007

Back in the TV Saddle

Recently I borrowed an antennae from my father so that I could watch TV. For the last two years I have used my TV exclusively to watch movies and play video games-- I couldn't afford cable and I didn't think network TV was worth the effort. The football season changed my mind about the antennae, but once I let the networks into my home I foudn it difficult to limit my viewing to Sundays.
Last night I watched a program on PBS about the human heart. I saw a man have all the blood drained out of his body and replaced with ice water. I saw a young man with a defibrillator implanted in his chest- programmed to restart his heart if it began to fail.
“Wow,” I thought, “this stuff is amazing! Why didn’t I get an antennae for this TV sooner?”
I changed the channel to CBS, and saw the tail end of a police procedural where a young man was explaining that he and his girlfriend had entered into a suicide pact because of their outstanding credit card debt.
“Oh,” I thought, “now I remember why.”

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

FINALLY! andrew, don't ever leave me alone like that again...it's scary out here without you...